Steps To Take After Being Bitten By A Dog
If you have ever been bitten by a dog, there are some important steps you should take. The following article will provide some helpful information regarding these steps.
What should you do after being bitten by a dog?
If you get bitten by a dog, you should immediately take the following steps regarding wounds you have sustained:
- Stop the wound from bleeding by applying direct pressure to it with a clean, dry cloth.
- Wash the wound using mild soap and warm, running water. Make sure you rinse the bite for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Apply antibacterial ointment to the wound. This is crucial, as it can help reduce the risk for infection.
- Apply a dry, sterile bandage over the wound.
- If you were bitten, whether it was on your neck, head, face, hand, fingers, feet, or any part of your body, you should seek treatment from a health provider immediately.
There are some additional steps you should consider taking if you plan on filing a personal injury claim or lawsuit for your injuries:
- Report the incident to your local animal control office or the police department (especially if you are unsure of whether the dog has a current rabies vaccination).
- If possible, before you leave the scene of the incident, get the name and contact information of the dog’s owner or the person who was in control of the dog at the time of the attack, as well as the contact information of anyone who may have witnessed the incident.
- Take photos of your injuries, if possible.
- Keep and do not wash any clothes you were wearing when the attack happened (this could be helpful later in court).
- Retain copies of any medical bills and receipts from any other dog bite-related expenses you have incurred.
- Write down everything you can remember about the incident, making a note of where it happened, who appeared to be in control of the animal, and what you did immediately before and after the attack.
- Consider hiring a personal injury attorney to file a lawsuit.
How can an attorney help in a dog bite lawsuit?
If you have suffered extensive dog bite injuries, you may want to consider hiring a personal injury attorney, who can file a lawsuit on your behalf. An attorney can provide assistance in this kind of lawsuit in some of the following ways:
- An attorney will help you obtain necessary evidence to provide proof of the extent of your injuries.
- An attorney can obtain expert professionals who can testify in court on your behalf, if need be.
- An attorney likely has a network of medical professionals who can perform a proper examination.
- An attorney will thoroughly explain to you the types of damages you can expect to receive.
- An attorney will ensure that all necessary court documents related to the case are filed in a timely manner.
- An attorney will negotiate on your behalf during settlement negotiations.
- An attorney will represent your case in court.
Were You Recently Bitten by a Dog? Contact a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Attorney
If you were recently injured as a result of being bitten by a dog, our firm wants to help. Rosen Injury Law, P.A. can help you obtain compensation for any damages that you are entitled to. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation with one of our experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys.