Fort Lauderdale Premises Liability Lawyer
Premises liability lawsuits involve accidents that occur on another person’s property. Slip and fall cases are the most common type of premises liability claims, but there are others, as well. Criminal acts due to poor lighting and improper security, fires, and unsafe swimming pools are all factors in premises liability claims, too.
While premises liability claims are common, they are extremely complex. Your claim will depend on the type of visitor you were at the time of your accident, and certain factors may also impact your claim. If you have been hurt on another person’s property, our Fort Lauderdale premises liability lawyer can advise you of your legal options.
Our Fort Lauderdale Premises Liability Lawyer Can Advise You of Your Status
Not all accident victims injured on another person’s property are treated equally. The viability of your claim will depend on your status at the time you were hurt. There are three different categories of visitor status in Fort Lauderdale, and they are as follows:
- Invitees: Invitees have the highest level of protection in premises liability claims. Invitees are people that have been invited onto the property to conduct business, such as a shopper in a retail store. Business owners owe invitees the highest duty of care and they must keep the property clear of hazards or defects that could cause an accident.
- Licensees: Licensees include people that are on a property for non-business reasons, such as those that attend a friend’s house for a party. Property owners must keep licensees reasonably safe, but the duty of care is not as high as it is for invitees.
- Trespassers: Property owners do owe a duty of care to trespassers, but it is relatively low. If a property owner becomes aware of a trespasser on their property, they may have to warn them of any dangerous conditions. Also, property owners do not have the right to try and physically harm trespassers.
While the above categories may seem straightforward, that is not always the case. A Fort Lauderdale premises liability lawyer can advise you of your status, and how to proceed with your claim.
Our Fort Lauderdale Premises Liability Lawyer Advises of Circumstances that May Affect Your Case
There are many special considerations that may affect your premises liability claim. The three most common of these are as follows:
- Landlords and tenants: Cases involving landlords and tenants are very complex because these two parties are responsible for different parts of the premises. Accidents caused by unsafe conditions in common areas are usually the responsibility of a landlord, while unsafe conditions inside the unit are typically the responsibility of the tenant.
- Children: You may have additional responsibilities to children that wander onto your property, even if they are trespassing. This is particularly true if you have an attractive nuisance, such as a swimming pool, on your property.
- Government entities: People often become hurt on public property that is the responsibility of the government. These cases are extremely complex, are governed by different rules, and usually have shorter deadlines.
The above are just a few factors that make premises liability claims so complex, and why it is always important to have a lawyer review your case.
Call Our Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale Today
If you have been hurt on another person’s property, do not wait to speak to a Fort Lauderdale premises liability lawyer. At Rosen Injury Law, P.A., our skilled attorney will help you overcome the challenges these claims present, so you can receive the full compensation you need. Call us today at 954-787-1500 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.